Shari'a Board MembersOur Shari'a Board members are widely acclaimed as leaders in the field of Islamic Finance. A humble introduction to each member is given here.
- Dr. Hussein Hamed Hassan (Chairman of DIBPL Shari'a Board)
- Mufti Muhammad Hassaan Kaleem (Member of DIBPL Shari'a Board)
- Mian Muhammad Nazir (Member DIBPL Shari'a Board)
- Mansoor Rais (Resident Member DIBPL Shari'a Board)
Dr. Hussein Hamed HassanChairman of DIBPL Shari'a Board
An Internationally renowned and well-established scholar of Islamic law specializing in Islamic finance. He is considered as one of the founding fathers of modern Islamic finance due to his immense contribution in the development of structures for the day-to-day running of Islamic banks and financial institutions. He is also known for his extensive contribution for the institutionalization of Islamic banking and the finance industry.
Dr. Hassan has a PhD in Islamic Fiqh (Law/jurisprudence) from the prestigious Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt in 1965. Before pursuing his PhD, he completed his Master’s degree in Comparative Law from International Institute of Comparative Law at the University of New York, and Masters in Law and Economics at the Cairo University, Egypt. Dr. Hassan serves as Chairman of the Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory banks and financial institutions of the following:
- Islamic Development Bank Group, Jeddah.
- Dubai Financial Market, Dubai.
- Dubai Islamic Bank, Dubai.
- Ajman Islamic Bank, Ajman
- Union National Bank (Accord), Abu Dhabi
- Salam Bank Bahrain
- Salam Bank Algeria
- Al Salam Bank Sudan
- Dubai Insurance and Reinsurance (Aman), Dubai.
- Charter Insurance Company, Abu Dhabi.
- Liquidity Management Centre, Bahrain.
- Deutsche Bank Malaysia.
- First Islamic Bank, Nairobi.
Chairman and member of the following Fiqh councils:
- Prime AMJA North America.
- Member of the European Council for Research and Iftaa, Dublin, Ireland.
- Member of the International Islamic Fiqh Academy, Jeddah.
- Member of the Islamic Fiqh Academy, the Muslim World League, Mecca.
- Member of the Committee on Standards legitimacy of the Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions, Bahrain.
- Deputy Chief of Classification Agency for Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions in Bahrain.
Mufti Muhammad Hassaan KaleemMember of DIBPL Shari'ah Board
Currently serving as the Sharia Board Member of Dubai Islamic Bank Pakistan Ltd. Mufti Hassaan has vast experience in matters of Sharia teachings and advisory and has been teaching various courses in Islamic Studies and Arabic at Dar-ul-Uloom Karachi for the last 17 years. He is a member of Dar-ul-Ifta, Jamia Darul-ul-Uloom Karachi, Chairman Sharia Board of Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP), Sharia Board Member of Pak Kuwait Takaful Company Ltd., Sharia Board Member of Pak Qatar Family Takaful, Sharia Consultant for Deloitte (Global Islamic Finance Team), and Sharia Council Member of Al-Ameen UBL Funds.
In addition, he is also a Sharia Board Member of Hanover Re Takaful Bahrain, Sharia Board Member of Takaful Emirate UAE, Sharia Board Member of Amana Bank Limited Sri Lanka, permanent faculty member of Center for Islamic Economics Karachi, Trainer of Sharia standards at Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions (AAOIFI) Bahrain and visiting faculty member of National Institute of Banking and Finance (State Bank of Pakistan).
Mian Muhammad NazirMember of DIBPL Shari'ah Board
As Chief Executive Officer of Dar Al Sharia he is responsible for the legal and structuring functions at Dar Al Sharia and Sharia Coordination Department of Dubai Islamic Bank. He advises Dubai Islamic Bank and external clients (banks, financial institutions and Takaful companies) on product development, structuring, documentation and Sharia governance of Islamic banking, finance and insurance products, services and transactions.
Mian Nazir graduated with an LL.M (Master of Laws) from the prestigious University of Cambridge, United Kingdom wherein he studied as a Commonwealth Scholar. He also holds a Bachelor degrees in Shari’ah & Law (LLB (Hons)) from the International Islamic University Islamabad wherein he was a gold medalist and passed with distinction.
Member Fatwa and Sharia Supervisory Board:
- RAK Bank
- Emirates REIT, DIFC, UAE
- Union National Bank, UAE
- DIB Bank Kenya Limited, Kenya
- Member Islamic Banking Committee of UAE Banks Federation
- Member Islamic Banking Committee of Central Bank of UAE
- Member DIFC Task Force on Islamic Corporate Governance
- Member DIFC Committee for Standardization of Islamic Capital Markets
- Documentation (supervising the drafting of standard documentation)
Mansoor RaisResident Member of DIBPL Shari'ah Board
He is an experienced Sharia Compliance & Product Development professional with a demonstrated history of working in Islamic Banking as well as Takaful industry of Pakistan. Currently serving as the Resident Sharia Board Member (RSBM) of Dubai Islamic bank Pakistan Ltd. He is skilled in Sharia structuring of complex business transactions/proposals, Sharia Review of asset/liability sides products documentations/agreements. Having a specialized degree in Islamic Jurisprudence from world renowned institution "Jamia Darul Uloom Karachi", and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) focused in Islamic Banking & Finance from Iqra University, Karachi (in progress) and specialization in Fatwa from Jamia Ashraful Madaris Karachi. Additionally, he has earned Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) from International Islamic University, Islamabad (IIUI) along with several short specialized certifications.
Following are the contact details of DIBPL Shari'a Compliance Department.
Fawad Azim ChashmawalaHead – Shari’a Compliance & Secretary Shari’a Board
Shari’ah Compliance Department.
Dubai Islamic Bank
Head Office, 4th Floor, Hassan Chambers, DC-7,
Block 7, Kehkashan, Clifton, Karachi, Pakistan.
Tel: + 92 21 3536 8540